- Live Unapologetically!- People are always going to pass judgement. What can you do about it? Nothing! Just live your life to the best of your ability. Stop apologizing for not living up to standards created by society or people that can’t even live up to them their damn selves! Never let anyone shame you for being a single mother, a young mother, or any other type of mother. Hold your head up high and be the best mother you can be!
- Don’t Be Ashamed to Ask For Help!- Raising a child is not a one-person job; it truly takes a village to raise a child. Receiving help (financial or any other type) does not make you any less of a parent.
- Reevaluate Your Circle!- Take a good look at the people that you keep around you! Everyone in your circle should have a similar mindset! Your focus should be to give your children a better life! People who are not living a positive, progressive life, have no place in your circle!
- Set Goals and Dream Big!- It’s important to remember that you can still achieve whatever it is that you want to achieve! A lot of times we associate becoming a mother as a hindrance, believing we can no longer accomplish the goals we had before! That is the furthest thing from the truth. It was not until after I had my daughter that I received my degree and was able to go on to grad school. Mothers should set goals and believe the sky is the limit. The key is to work hard while prioritizing. Nothing can stop us!
- Don’t Forget That You’re Still Young!- There is a lot of responsibility that comes with being a mother. When you bear the responsibility of keeping a small human alive, it is easy to forget about yourself. Remember that you are still young! Hangout with your peers and keep up with current trends. Your first priority should always be your child(ren), but it is important to remain true to who you are.
- Find a Mentor!- Being a mother while working to achieve your goals can be challenging; it’s hard to figure out exactly where to start. Find someone that has been where you are now and has accomplished goals that are important to you. A mentor can provide you with direction and save you from making mistakes that they made in their journey. If you do not have a mentor, continue to work hard and a mentor will find you.
- Set an Example!- Strive to be the person that you want your child(ren) to be. Your child(ren) are always watching!
- Support One Another!- Build a support network with other mothers. Encourage one another. It is very helpful to have someone to talk to that is in a similar situation as yourself. It is fun to exchange parenting ideas, have playdates, or just someone to vent to.
- Don’t Compare Yourself to Others!- Never measure your success or self-worth by comparing yourself to others! For one, people only allow you to see what they want you to see. You never know another person’s true reality. Also, everyone has a different journey. We are all at different places of our journies, but what truly matters is the end result. Often times it can be helpful to take a social media break. This will allow you to focus on yourself and not always be confronted with the outside personas that others put out.